White Asparagus with Smoked Salmon and Our Vinaigrette Dressing
About 2 pounds white asparagus, no more than
1/4 inch in diameter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
8 ounces smoked salmon
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh terragon leaves
2 tablespoons capers, drained and chopped
2 tablespoons chopped leek
5 tablespoons grated cornichons
1. Trim 1/2 inch from the bottom of asparagus stems, if necessary,
and if the asparagus are not young and tender, peel the steams.
2. In a pot large enough to hold the asparagus on its side, bring
4 cups of the water along with the salt and sugar to a boil. Meanwhile,
put 2 cups of water and 4 or 5 ice cubes in bowl.
3. Using a slotted spoon, add the asparagus to the boiling water
and cook for 12 minutes until tender.
4. For the Vinaigrette dressing, bring honey to a boil in a small
saucepan, removefrom the heat and stir in vinegar and olive oil
and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the parsley, terragon,
capers, leeks and cornichons and stir well. Set aside to cool.
5. To serve, drain the asparagus, cut each stalk into 3-inch lengths
and divide among t he plates with the heads all facing in the same
direction. Slice the smoked salmon into long 1/2 -inch-wide strips
and place alongside the asparagus. Spoon the vinaigrette sauce near
the asparagus heads but do not spoon it over them.